The cornea is the curved, transparent part of the eye in front of the iris and the pupil. It is through this membrane that light reaches the retina. In addition, it protects the iris and the lens, because it has a rigid structure comparable to that of a fingernail.
The cornea is affected by various diseases that can cause significant loss of sight and even loss of sight. Some of these diseases require a corneal transplant in order to allow the patient to maintain good eyesight.
- People with a sick or damaged cornea
- People suffering from keratoconus, chemical burns of the cornea and corneal stromal dystrophies
- Transplant rejection
- The operation lasts between 1 to 2 hours
- A work stop of 8 to 21 days may be prescribed
- The scarring of the corneal transplant is very slow (more than 5 years)
- Final visual result 6 months to a year
Best Clinics for Cornea Transplant in Turkey: Cost & Reviews
Eye Cornea transplant surgery is more widespread on a global scale than other organ transplants. Thanks to it, many visually impaired and blind people have regained normal vision.
Keratoplasty, or corneal transplant, is a procedure that replaces your cornea, the transparent front layer of your eye. During this procedure, your surgeon removes damaged or diseased corneal tissue. Healthy corneal tissue from the eye of a deceased human donor replaces the damaged cornea. For many people, corneal surgery restores clear vision and improves their quality of life.
In Turkey, nearly 600 keratoplasty are performed by eye doctors each year.
What are the indications for Eye Cornea Transplant Surgery
If you have a damaged cornea, you may experience symptoms, including:
- Eye pain
- Blurred vision
- Blurred vision.
Your ophthalmologist in Turkey will determine the cause and other possible treatments that can resolve these symptoms. If your cornea cannot be repaired using other methods, your surgeon may recommend a keratoplasty.
The types of diagnoses that require corneal grafting
Conditions that damage your corneas and affect your ability to see clearly may require a keratoplasty. These conditions include:
Fuchs dystrophy: a condition in which cells in the inner layer of the cornea die. This causes the cornea to swell and thicken, and vision becomes blurred.
- Keratoconus: a condition that causes the cone-shaped cornea instead of a dome
- Infections that cause permanent damage to the cornea.
- Traumatic lesions that penetrate or scars in the cornea.
- Previous eye surgeries that damaged the cornea.
- Bullous keratopathy: a swelling of the cornea similar to a blister that causes eye discomfort, pain and blurred vision.
- Keratitis: an inflammation of the cornea caused by viruses, bacteria or parasites.
Techniques of Eye Cornea Transplant Surgery
These procedures are not done using a laser, but with very specific tools. This allows the ophtalmic surgeon to make extremely precise lamellar cuts (especially a microkeratome). Given the precision required for this type of procedure, it is recommended that you contact an experienced eye surgeon.
There are several types of transplants such as:
- Perforating graft (penetrating keratoplasty, PK).
- Lamellar grafting.
The most modern endothelial grafting technique is the DMEK (Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty). It consists in inserting only a membrane graft of Descemet, without any part of the corneal stroma, into the eye.
This more difficult technique gives better results than other older endothelial grafting techniques such as: DSAEK (Descemet Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty). Its graft consisted of the Descemet membrane plus the corneal stroma.
Corneal Transplant Cost in Turkey & Istanbul’s Best Clinics
Turquie santé introduces the best cornea transplant surgeons. They will be in charge of performing keratoplasty that has a success rate ranging between 70% and 90%.
Corneal transplant cost in Turkey with our partner clinics and hospitals is more affordable than what you may think. It is crucial to mention that our prices are 50% cheaper than France. Our platform offers a guide to prices and rates for your medical stay. We also provide cheap cosmetic surgery and prices of the best clinics for cornea transplant in Turkey and Istanbul.
Share this page
Corneal transplants are indicated in the following cases:
- Fuchs dystrophy: degenerative disease causing premature aging of the cornea;
- Keratitis: bacterial, viral or parasitic infection of the cornea;
- Keratoconus: deformation of the cornea in the shape of a cone;
- The rejection of a previous graft;
- Replacement of an aged graft;
- Corneal trauma.
Keratoplasty can be done at any age, up to the age of 90.
The return of vision would be a few days after the operation. However, the sharpness of vision would be achieved very gradually. As for precise and final visual acuity, it would be obtained after six to twelve postoperative months.
The success rate of cornea transplant in Turkey is 90%.